Subscribe to this site and get all the free worksheets, and many more, as pdfs and online gapfill exercises, as well as the two books, The Latin Heart of English Volume 1 and The Liondale English Language Series Volume 1 (pdf downloads), for only £10! Click here: Subscribe to site
Unpredictable Verbs 3
Grammar - information and contents
This exercise practises verbs which are formed from nouns but whose meaning can not be accurately predicted from the meaning of the noun. Read the sentences and look at the underlined verbs/verb phrases. Then choose one of the nouns used as verbs from the list which has the same meaning in the context of the sentence and write it in at the end.
brief on, flower, frame, ground, milk, pocket, shade, spark, storm, tail
1. James lost his job when the store manager found out that he had been keeping change and not giving it to the customers.
2. The hotel manager thought that Sheila was a famous actress, so she decided to exploit the situation and got the best room free.
3. Nick spent two years in prison before new evidence was found which proved that he had been falsely incriminated by the police.
4. Before you go on business to a new country it's a good idea to be informed about the standard business practice and customs there.
5. During the fifth century BCE Athenian civilisation began to develop and reached its peak with the building of the Parthenon.
6. In the skating competition both Kerry Norris and Denise Hennessy achieved high scores, but Denise just narrowly won it by 5.9 to 5.8.
7. The chairman and the manager could not agree on what to do to get the club out of trouble. In fact, the manager got so angry that he walked angrily out of the meeting.
8. The situation on the streets tonight is very tense. The army is patrolling the streets and managing to keep the two sides apart, but any small incident could set off more fighting.
9. I can't come out tonight. My school report was terrible, so my dad has made me stay at home for the next two weeks.
10. You're right, Mrs White, your husband is having an affair. After he came out of the house I followed him to a hotel on the other side of town. I saw him check into a room with another woman.
© Marc Loewenthal, eflworksheets.com, 2000-2012