Subscribe to this site and get all the free worksheets, and many more, as pdfs and online gapfill exercises, as well as the two books, The Latin Heart of English Volume 1 and The Liondale English Language Series Volume 1 (pdf downloads), for only £10! Click here: Subscribe to site
Noun and Verb Stress Variations 1
Grammar - information and contents
This exercise practises nouns/adjectives and verbs which are spelt the same but are pronounced differently. The nouns and adjectives are always stressed on the first syllable and the verbs are always stressed on the second. Read the sentences and put the correct words in the gaps in the correct form. Indicate whether they are nouns/adjectives or verbs by underlining the stressed syllable. The meanings of the related words are usually, but not always, similar.
conduct, contact, finance, impact, increase, object, present, prospect, rebel, refuse, survey, upset
1. The rise in tax on petrol will ____________________ on all areas of the economy and slow down production.
2. Police found some ____________________ at the scene of the crime, but have not yet revealed what they are.
3. Before launching a new product, businesses need to ____________________ public opinion to find out if people will buy it.
4. Now that the plans for the new stadium are ready we need backers to ____________________ the whole project. It will cost around £50 million.
5. For five days now there has been no ____________________ with John Adams, who is attempting to sail round the world alone.
6. Members of the society are expected to ____________________ themselves in a dignified and respectful manner.
7. Although Richard Fernley only joined the company a year ago, he has worked very well and has excellent ____________________ for promotion in the near future.
8. Although they were surrounded by the army, the ____________________ fought bravely to the death.
9. On my last day at work I was ____________________ with a gold watch and a cheque for £10,000.
10. When the government lost the election it was the biggest ____________________ in the country's political history.
11. When the ____________________ collectors went on strike, rubbish piled up in the streets for days and became a health hazard.
12. World population is ____________________ so quickly that it will double in 50 years.
© Marc Loewenthal, eflworksheets.com, 2000-2012