Subscribe to this site and get all the free worksheets, and many more, as pdfs and online gapfill exercises, as well as the two books, The Latin Heart of English Volume 1 and The Liondale English Language Series Volume 1 (pdf downloads), for only £10! Click here: Subscribe to site
Latin Root: cap/ceive/cept
Special focus - information and contents
In this worksheet, we examine the root cap/ceive/cept, which means take or catch in Latin. The prefixes used in these words generally, but not always, have specific meanings and will be practised in the Affixation section. Put each of the following words into the correct sentences in the correct form.
accept, capture, concept, deceive, exception, inception, intercept, perception, precept, receive
1. The new national sports body had serious problems from its ____________________. It would never have succeeded.
2. Although John said that he was happy to work with me I always had the ____________________ that he didn't really want me there with him.
3. All right! I'll make an ____________________ this time. But if you're late again one more time you'll be in serious trouble.
4. When he got home and opened the bag, there was no money in it. Shock and then anger hit him when he realised that he had been ____________________.
5. When the manager called to tell Maria that she had been offered the job, she ____________________ immediately.
6. The theory of relativity is a difficult ____________________ for most people to understand but with some careful thought you can understand it.
7. Five convicts escaped from Parkgate prison last night. Three have been ____________________ but the other two are still free.
8. One of the most important ____________________ of democracy is the right of people to vote in free and fair elections.
9. The family ____________________ us in their homes very warmly, and we enjoyed our stay with them immensely.
10. If the defender hadn't ____________________ that pass, the attacker would have got the ball and scored a goal easily.
Â© Marc Loewenthal, eflworksheets.com, 2000-2010