Subscribe to this site and get all the free worksheets, and many more, as pdfs and online gapfill exercises, as well as the two books, The Latin Heart of English Volume 1 and The Liondale English Language Series Volume 1 (pdf downloads), for only £10! Click here: Subscribe to site
Latin Root: pone/pos
Special focus - information and contents
In this worksheet, we examine the root pone/pos, which means put in Latin. The prefixes used in these words generally, but not always, have specific meanings and will be practised in the Affixation section. Put each of the following words into the correct sentences in the correct form.
compose, depose, disposal, exposure, impose, opposition, postpone, proposal, repose, suppose
1. The weather was so bad that the football pitch was completely covered in water. The referee had no choice but to ____________________ the game.
2. Three climbers who went missing on Mont Blanc yesterday were found this morning by a search party. They were taken to hospital suffering from ____________________.
3. The government said that it would continue with its privatisation plans despite the huge ____________________ to them all over the country.
4. The actor, Tim Crust, was today found guilty of speeding. The court ____________________ on him a fine of £150 and banned him for six months.
5. There will be a meeting at 10.00 next Monday to discuss the three ____________________ for spending the money that we have received from the lottery fund.
6. As the plane flew through the storm the captain remained totally calm and ____________________ and managed to land the plane safely.
7. The king's son was eager to claim the throne, so he rebelled against his father and eventually ____________________ him.
8. I don't ____________________ that we will win, but at least we can play to the best of our ability.
9. There is so much household waste these days that we need to find new methods for its ____________________, such as recycling or incineration.
10. Our hotel is equipped with the latest exercise and relaxation facilities, so that you can be certain of maximum ____________________.
Ã‚© Marc Loewenthal, eflworksheets.com, 2000-2010