Subscribe to this site and get all the free worksheets, and many more, as pdfs and online gapfill exercises, as well as the two books, The Latin Heart of English Volume 1 and The Liondale English Language Series Volume 1 (pdf downloads), for only £10! Click here: Subscribe to site
Word focus - Get - Change of State 1
Word focus - information and contents
This exercise practises uses of the verb get indicating a change of state. This construction is made up of get with a present or past participle, e.g. get done or get doing. Look at these sentences:
You have to get washed before you can go out. (= be washed)
We have to wash the car. If we get washing now we'll have finished by 12.00. (= start washing)
Choose the correct verb for each sentence from the list below and put it in one of the participles after get. Some of the verbs are used in both forms. Don't forget to put get in the correct form.
kill, move, write (2), beat, find out, go, lose, play (2), study, separate
1. John pretended to be sick so that he wouldn't have to do his work, but he ______________________ and had to do it anyway.
2. OK, everybody. Everything's ready for the game, so let's ______________________.
3. Don't cross the road without looking. You never know what's coming and you could ______________________.
4. I'm sorry. I'm very busy at the moment. I've got a long report to complete so I'd better ______________________.
5. I wouldn't leave the car there if I were you. It'll ______________________ by the police.
6. My exams start next month and I've done very little work for them. I really must ______________________.
7. Brazil reached the football World Cup final again in 1998, but they ______________________ by France.
8. I tried to find my way around New York by myself, but I ______________________ and spent an hour finding my way back to my hotel.
9. If this rain continues, the game won't ______________________ today.
10. Everything's packed and in the car. Tell the kids to hurry up and so that we can ______________________.
11. I went to the concert with my brother. Unfortunately, the crowd was so big that we ______________________ and I went home on my own.
12. Don't worry. The letters will ______________________ in the next few days, but there isn't any time to do them today.
© Marc Loewenthal, eflworksheets.com, 2000-2010