Subscribe to this site and get all the free worksheets, and many more, as pdfs and online gapfill exercises, as well as the two books, The Latin Heart of English Volume 1 and The Liondale English Language Series Volume 1 (pdf downloads), for only £10! Click here: Subscribe to site
Word focus - Get - Produce a Result 1
Word focus - information and contents
This exercise practises uses of the verb get to get a result. This construction is made up of get with a an infinitive, either with or without an object, e.g. get someone to do something (=persuade) or get to do something (=manage). Choose the correct verb for each sentence from the list below to put in. Don't forget to put get in the correct form and use the correct object where necessary.
drive, drop, finish, fly, have, meet, mow, pick up, stop (2), visit, watch
1. So far in my flying lessons the instructor has been controlling the plane, but next week I ______________________ it completely by myself. I'm really excited about it.
2.I don't know what's wrong with the baby. She's been like this all day. I just can't ______________________ crying.
3. There's a noise coming from the engine of my car. I don't think it's serious, but just to be on the safe side I'll take it to our mechanic and ______________________ a look tomorrow morning.
4. I'm really disappointed. Everything was fine at first, but then I lost concentration and didn't ______________________ the exam. I'm sure I failed.
5. I don't know what to do with my son these days. He's so lazy. I can't even ______________________ his socks and put them in the washing.
6. My dad's got a new car and if I'm good and do what he says maybe I'll ______________________ it one day.
7. John was running very late, so he phoned Angela to _____________________ him at the airport. I hope he caught the plane.
8. It was a fantastic concert. He sang all his old favourites and the crowd loved it. After the concert we even ______________________ him when he came out to sign autographs.
9. Peter's constantly found excuses to avoid doing the gardening lately, but yesterday I finally ______________________ the lawn. It looks lovely now.
10. You have to do your homework first, but if you finish it quickly you'll ______________________ the football on TV.
11. I don't know what to do with my husband any more. I've tried, the doctor's tried, his friends have tried, but we just can't seem to ______________________ smoking. He'll die if he doesn't.
12. Michelle loves her job as a travel correspondent because she ______________________ so many interesting places all paid for.
© Marc Loewenthal, eflworksheets.com, 2000-2010