Subscribe to this site and get all the free worksheets, and many more, as pdfs and online gapfill exercises, as well as the two books, The Latin Heart of English Volume 1 and The Liondale English Language Series Volume 1 (pdf downloads), for only £10! Click here: Subscribe to site
Word focus - Hot Words
Word focus - information and contents
This exercise practises the word hot used with different nouns to make special meanings. Choose the correct word or phrase to put in each sentence.
hotbed, hotfoot, hothead, hothouse, hotline, hotspot, hotplate, hotrod, hotshot, hotwire
1. The president has a ____________________ direct to the every other world leader which he uses in times of crisis.
2. Simon's a real ____________________. I've seen him lose his temper over nothing important so many times. He's always getting into trouble with it.
3. Car thieves don't need a key to steal a car. All they do is ____________________ it and then drive away.
4. When I was at university in the 1960s I remember that it was a ____________________ of radical leftwing politics. Everyone was a communist or socialist.
5. We should go to the Nightshade club sometime. They say that it's one of the town's ____________________ with the best music and MCs.
6. Once the food is cooked you should put it on the ____________________ so that it doesn't cool down before dinner.
7. Les is a real ____________________. He can use a gun really well and hits the target eight times out of ten.
8. We were sitting having a drink in the bar, when John saw his wife come in. He immediately decided to ____________________ it home because he didn't want her to find him there.
9. When Jim Minor lost the election, he decided to leave politics altogether. He felt that he needed a long time to relax and live quietly away from the ____________________ of daily political life.
10. I've always wanted to race in a ____________________. Those cars have such acceleration that you get an amazing feeling of speed for just a few seconds.
© Marc Loewenthal, eflworksheets.com, 2000-2010