Subscribe to this site and get all the free worksheets, and many more, as pdfs and online gapfill exercises, as well as the two books, The Latin Heart of English Volume 1 and The Liondale English Language Series Volume 1 (pdf downloads), for only £10! Click here: Subscribe to site
Similar Words 2
Vocabareas - information and contents
These exercises practise using words which
have similar meanings and which are often confused. Decide which of the words
should go in the gaps. Remember to put them in the correct form.
expect, hope, wait
1. I can't come out now. I have to stay in and
________________ for the electrician to come and fix the lighting.
2. I _______________ you can come to my
wedding. I'd love to see you there.
3. Angela's plane landed fifteen minutes ago,
so I'm ________________ her to walk through soon.
variable, variance, variation, variety
4. The ________________ in temperatures
between night and day can be as much as 30 degrees in the desert.
5. They're always at ________________ with
each other. They never seem to agree.
6. We have a huge ________________ of films to
rent - thrillers, comedy, romance. You name it, we've got it.
7. The weather in England is extremely ________________.
It can be sunny one moment and wet the next.
experience (2), experiment
8. I'm sorry, Miss James. Your qualifications
are excellent, but we need someone with more ________________ of this type
9. When I lived in America I had some
wonderful ________________ which I will always remember.
10. The results from the first ________________
were disappointing. We'll have to do some more.
© Marc Loewenthal, eflworksheets.com, 2000-2010