Subscribe to this site and get all the free worksheets, and many more, as pdfs and online gapfill exercises, as well as the two books, The Latin Heart of English Volume 1 and The Liondale English Language Series Volume 1 (pdf downloads), for only £10! Click here: Subscribe to site
Similar Words 6
Vocabareas - information and contents
This exercise practises using words which have similar meanings and which are often confused. Look at the words in the list and decide which of them should go in the gaps. They can each be used twice.
support, maintain, bear, stand
1. If you eat good food you can ____________________ your good health with old age.
2. I think you should stand for the post of chairman. I'll ____________________ you all the way.
3. You will have to ____________________ the travel costs yourself as the company has no money to pay for the trip.
4. I can't ____________________ waiting for people. If they don't come on time, I just leave.
5. The Prime Minister ____________________ that he had not changed his policy on tax, and that he would continue with the same policy.
6. I need to get a better job. I don't get enough money from this job to ____________________ my family.
7. I met John in the pub and he told me that he had won some money, so he ____________________ me a drink.
8. Politics is a very rewarding career, if you can____________________ the pressure that comes with it.
© Marc Loewenthal, eflworksheets.com, 2000-2010