Subscribe to this site and get all the free worksheets, and many more, as pdfs and online gapfill exercises, as well as the two books, The Latin Heart of English Volume 1 and The Liondale English Language Series Volume 1 (pdf downloads), for only £10! Click here: Subscribe to site
Word Groups - information and contents
This exercise practises verbs which indicate gestures and facial expressions. Put one of these verbs in each space. Make sure you put each one in the correct form.
beckon, bow, frown, grimace, nod, point, shake, shrug, wag, wave, wince, wink
1. If I did something wrong when I was a boy my mother would ____________________ her finger at me and tell me off.
2. I could see that Peter hadn't passed the exam, because he ____________________ when he looked at the results slip. I've never seen him so disappointed.
3. I asked Joseph if he knew where Miriam had gone, but he just ____________________ his shoulders and said he didn't know.
4. Keith crouched down and put his hands on the weights. Then he lifted them, ____________________ as he he slowly pushed the 200 kilos up over his head.
5. As I was walking along the road I saw a policeman on the corner. He ____________________ to me, so I went up to him to see what he wanted.
6. In some countries you have to ____________________ to older people and superiors to show your respect.
7. Jason ____________________ as the doctor took his arm and put the needle into it to give him his injection.
8. I'm going to ask you a question. You don't have to say anything, but if it's true, just ____________________.
9. We stood on the balcony and watched them get on the ship. As it moved away, they ____________________ goodbye to us.
10. Uncle Bill told us a story about how he once had tea with the Queen, but when he ____________________ at me I knew he wasn't serious.
11. I asked Annie if she was coming out with me, but she just ____________________ her head, so I went out on my own.
12. When the prosecution asked the witness to identify who he saw coming out of the house, he ____________________ straight at the defendant.
© Marc Loewenthal, eflworksheets.com, 2000-2010