Subscribe to this site and get all the free worksheets, and many more, as pdfs and online gapfill exercises, as well as the two books, The Latin Heart of English Volume 1 and The Liondale English Language Series Volume 1 (pdf downloads), for only £10! Click here: Subscribe to site
Word Groups - Verbs Meaning Agree/Disagree 1
Word Groups - information and contents
This exercise practises verbs meaning agree and disagree. Choose the best word to put in each gap. Make sure that you put it in the correct form.
assent, bicker, concur, consent, deny, disapprove, fall out, object, oppose, quarrel, row, uphold
1. Jane and Louise used to be the best of friends, but then they ____________________ over a man that they both fancied. Now they don't speak at all.
2. The football committee decided to ____________________ the referee's original decision regarding Jim Young's sending-off, so he's going to miss the cup final.
3. What really annoys me about the children sometimes is that they ____________________ constantly about any little thing, like who's got more sweets, or who's got a bigger toy.
4. I told my daughter that I couldn't ____________________ to her getting married because I feel that at 16 she's too young and she should finish her exams first.
5. The government decided to drop the controversial new law requiring all visitors from abroad to have a visa after it was heavily ____________________ in Parliament.
6. All the members of the financial committee ____________________ on the proposed 20% increase in the membership fee.
7. When Paul's wife asked him about the lipstick on his collar, he ____________________ that he was seeing another woman.
8. I hate it when the people next door ____________________. You can hear everything they say through the wall because it's so thin.
9. Before the surgeons could perform the new heart operation, they needed the patient to ____________________ to it in case anything went wrong.
10. I don't have a problem with Terry telling me that I'm wrong. I just ____________________ to the way that he says it.
11. I felt that my son wasn't getting the attention he needs at his school, so I went to see his teacher and we ended up ____________________ about it. I'm going to find him a new school now.
12. I wanted to have long hair when I was young, but my father ____________________ of it and wouldn't let me grow it very long. I kept having to get haircuts.
© Marc Loewenthal, eflworksheets.com, 2000-2010