Subscribe to this site and get all the free worksheets, and many more, as pdfs and online gapfill exercises, as well as the two books, The Latin Heart of English Volume 1 and The Liondale English Language Series Volume 1 (pdf downloads), for only £10! Click here: Subscribe to site
Word Groups - Verbs Meaning Ask/Answer 1
Word Groups - information and contents
This exercise practises verbs meaning ask and answer. Choose the best word to put in each gap. Make sure that you put it in the correct form.
beg, cross-examine, demand, interrogate, interview, plead, query, reply, request, retort
1. The police ____________________ over a hundred people in their investigation into the disappearance of the little girl.
2. Ralph ____________________ with his wife not to leave him, but she was determined to leave and start a new life without him.
3. When I read the report I felt that I had to ____________________ some of the data in it because I felt that it was inaccurate.
4. I've ____________________ a week off next term, but I don't think they'll give it to me because it's during exam time.
5. When you go into the witness chair in court and the defence lawyer ____________________ you, just try to remember all the details or the crime as you saw them.
6. When one reporter asked Mark Timson if he could beat Sonny Joe Robertson in his next fight, he indignantly ____________________ that he would put him on the floor in the first round.
7. After the accident Laurence stopped a car and ____________________ the driver to help him, but he just drove off and left him there.
8. I asked Jeremy if he was going to come with me to the cinema, but he didn't ____________________ so I went on my own.
9. When I got to the hotel, my room was in a terrible state. It hadn't been cleaned after the previous guest, so I ____________________ to see the manager.
10. The police ____________________ the suspects for over twenty four hours before they let them go for lack of evidence.
© Marc Loewenthal, eflworksheets.com, 2000-2010