Subscribe to this site and get all the free worksheets, and many more, as pdfs and online gapfill exercises, as well as the two books, The Latin Heart of English Volume 1 and The Liondale English Language Series Volume 1 (pdf downloads), for only £10! Click here: Subscribe to site
Word Groups - Verbs Meaning Change
Word Groups - information and contents
This exercise practises verbs meaning change. Choose the best word to put in each gap. Make sure that you put it in the correct form.
adapt, adjust, alter, convert, fluctuate, modify, mutate, reform, rehash, revise, transform, vary
1. After the new government was voted in, the first thing they started to do was to ____________________ the antiquated tax laws, so that they were far more equal.
2. The problem with the weather in Britain is that it ____________________ so much from day to day. You never know whether it's going to rain or be sunny.
3. After a caterpillar has spun a cocoon, it spends four weeks in it, during which it ____________________ into a butterfly.
4. The brakes don't feel very good on this car. I'll have to take it in to the mechanic tomorrow to get them ____________________.
5. After Sebastian divorced his wife, he decided to ____________________ his will to make sure that she would get far less money than she would have got before.
6. The racetrack was considered very dangerous last year, when three horses were killed, so the committee decided to ____________________ parts of the course to make it safer.
7. The exam was so difficult last year that the university decided to ____________________ the format and make it easier to understand.
8. Pigeons are very successful birds. They are found in most towns and cities because they can ____________________ to new environments relatively easily.
9. Our son used to behave very badly at home and lacked control, so we sent him away to boarding school and it completely ____________________ him. He's much better behaved now.
10. There's nothing new in Pat Johnson's new book. He basically ____________________ the last book he wrote, and it says more or less the same thing.
11. I've decided to ____________________ the loft into a playroom for the children because there's not enough room for them to play in their bedrooms.
12. George can be a difficult person to deal with sometimes. His moods ____________________ between cheerfulness and melancholy quite quickly.
© Marc Loewenthal, eflworksheets.com, 2000-2010