Subscribe to this site and get all the free worksheets, and many more, as pdfs and online gapfill exercises, as well as the two books, The Latin Heart of English Volume 1 and The Liondale English Language Series Volume 1 (pdf downloads), for only £10! Click here: Subscribe to site
Word Groups - Verbs Referring to the Future
Word Groups - information and contents
This exercise practises verbs referring to the future. Choose the best word to put in each gap. Make sure that you put it in the correct form.
aim, anticipate, expect, forecast, guess, intend, plan, predict, project, prophesy, scheme, speculate
1. At the moment world population is increasing at a rate of 2%. If we ____________________ this growth into the future, we can see that it will reach 9 billion by the year 2050.
2. My job is to ____________________ on the the value of commodities like coffee and sugar in the next three months and buy and sell them at the correct price.
3. When I finish school I don't ____________________ to go straight to university. I want to travel around the world for a year first.
4. It's impossible to ____________________ accurately what the weather will be like for more than a week.
5. I'm going away for a few days. I don't know when I'll be back, but don't ____________________ me before the weekend at least.
6. Peter doesn't just want to be a professional footballer. He ____________________ to play for England and be the best player in the country.
7. The important thing in any business is to ____________________ situations and problems before they arise. In that way you'll always be prepared to deal with them.
8. There have been many religious leaders in history who have claimed that they could ____________________ the end of the world.
9. It's very difficult to ____________________ what the outcome of the negotiations will be, but at the moment both sides are still talking.
10. It was a good film with a lot of suspense and thrills, but I managed to ____________________ how it would end halfway through.
11. I'm ____________________ to go on holiday next month so I have to book the hotel and plane ticket soon.
12. I trusted my business partner totally, but one day I found out that he was ____________________ to steal all the money from the company bank account and leave the country, so I informed the police.
© Marc Loewenthal, eflworksheets.com, 2000-2010