Subscribe to this site and get all the free worksheets, and many more, as pdfs and online gapfill exercises, as well as the two books, The Latin Heart of English Volume 1 and The Liondale English Language Series Volume 1 (pdf downloads), for only £10! Click here: Subscribe to site
Word Groups - Verbs Meaning Know/Believe/Understand 1
Word Groups - information and contents
This exercise practises verbs meaning know, believe and understand. Choose the best word to put in each gap. Make sure that you put it in the correct form.
acknowledge, assume, be aware, comprehend, conceive, grasp, guess, identify
1. I love Jenny so much that I just I just can't ____________________ of being alone or with anyone else.
2. I ____________________ you don't want to eat anything now if you've just been out for a meal.
3. I'm surprised that you're at work today. You looked so ill yesterday that I ____________________ you'd stay at home for a few days to get better.
4. I ____________________ that Maurice had a big house in the country, but I never knew that it was so big till I went there.
5. At first I didn't ____________________ the true significance of the find that I had made in my garden. When I took the vase to the museum to get it valued, they told me it was worth over £100,000.
6. Although I had studied Chinese at university, when I travelled round the country I found it difficult to ____________________ what people were saying some of the time because of their accents.
7. At the wedding Mary ____________________ the help that all her friends had given her and expresses her gratitude to them.
8. I found it difficult to ____________________ exactly what the language was because I had never seen it before.