Subscribe to this site and get all the free worksheets, and many more, as pdfs and online gapfill exercises, as well as the two books, The Latin Heart of English Volume 1 and The Liondale English Language Series Volume 1 (pdf downloads), for only £10! Click here: Subscribe to site
Word Groups - Verbs Meaning Talk/Speak
Word Groups - information and contents
This exercise practises verbs meaning talk or speak. Choose the best word to put in each gap. Make sure that you put it in the correct form.
argue, chat, debate, discuss, mumble, lecture, murmur, negotiate, preach, ramble
1. When the workers threatened to go on strike, the management decided to ____________________ to try and meet their demands as far as possible
2. I met Jackie when I was out shopping today. We hadn't seen each other for so long that we went for a coffee and ____________________ about old times for ages. It was great to see her.
3. The old man just sat in the corner ____________________ to himself. Nobody to work out what he was saying or what he wanted.
4. Today in Parliament MPs ____________________ the new tax law which the government is trying to bring in to raise taxes. They are expected to vote on it tomorrow.
5. As soon as I'm eighteen, I'm going to leave home and live by myself. I'm fed up with my father ____________________ me about what I should and shouldn't do in my life.
6. I had a terrible flight. There was a lot of turbulence and bad weather, and on top of that I was sitting next to a man who ____________________ on and on about his family and work. He was so boring.
7. There are a lot of things to ____________________ at the annual meeting tomorrow, including our plans to expand business in South America.
8. What were you dreaming about last night? I could hear you ____________________ about someone called Judy, but I couldn't quite follow what you were saying.
9. When you are having a serious discussion it is important to ____________________ your point of view very strongly so that you can have a good chance of convincing people of it.
10. I can't stand people who have a fixed idea about something and ____________________ to you as if they're absolutely right and they have to convert everyone to their point of view.
© Marc Loewenthal, eflworksheets.com, 2000-2010