Subscribe to this site and get all the free worksheets, and many more, as pdfs and online gapfill exercises, as well as the two books, The Latin Heart of English Volume 1 and The Liondale English Language Series Volume 1 (pdf downloads), for only £10! Click here: Subscribe to site
Word Groups - Verbs Meaning Walk 1
Word Groups - information and contents
This exercise practises verbs meaning walk. Choose the best word to put in each gap. Make sure that you put it in the correct form.
amble, creep, dawdle, limp, shuffle, plod, ramble, roam, step, stride, tramp, tread
1. It's lovely to get out of the city for a while and just ____________________ through the countryside on a lovely day like this.
2. There was the loud sound of heavy footsteps outside the classroom in the corridor. Suddenly the door flew open and the new teacher ____________________ in.
3. I think we'd better take the dog to the vet to have his leg checked. He's been ____________________ a lot lately.
4. It was a lovely day and Penny wasn't in a hurry, so she decided to ____________________ through the park to work instead of catching the bus.
5. I had a really horrible journey to work today. It was really hot in the train and it was so packed that I couldn't even move. Then someone ____________________ on my foot.
6. It had been a very long walk, and Alan felt tired but happy as he ____________________ up the road to his house.
7. The old man got up and ____________________ slowly across the room and out into the garden.
8. Stephen came home so late that he took his shoes off and ____________________ quietly up the stairs so as not to wake up his wife.
9. Be careful when you cross the road. Don't ____________________ off the pavement until you're sure that there are no cars coming.
10. Nomads never settle down in one place for a long time, or build permanent homes. They spend their lives ____________________ around the land looking for places to camp.
11. When I go on holiday I like to stay in one place, preferably in a hotel by the sea. I can't understand why people spend so much time ____________________ around streets all day sightseeing.
12. It's time for you to go to school. Don't ____________________ on the way or you'll be late and the teacher will be angry.
© Marc Loewenthal, eflworksheets.com, 2000-2010